Friday, November 5, 2010

Positive guilt


On my feet ALL DAY LONG (good thing, not a bad thing) so, except in the morning, I had pretty much no time to even pay a thought toward food. I started out at the food bank, bagging vegetables. Yes, I do community service for fun, I'm kind of a freak that way. And I just kept thinking, I am doing a good thing. I don't deserve food... but some people do. They're the ones who've gone without. They're the ones who didn't have a choice. Walking around here, putting my limbs to use, burning these calories... it's not only for me. It's for them.

I sometimes think survivor's guilt is a contributing factor in why I do what I do. A long time ago, I did service work in another country and I was not prepared for the experience. I've seen poverty and, truly, it changes you. That was before any of this. Sometimes I wonder...

1 comment:

  1. i think it's absolutely wonderful that you're so giving of your time like that. it must really put things in perspective. i want to that too one day - perhaps after uni.
    you're such an inspiration
    x

    ReplyDelete